Wednesday 22 August 2012

What is a YAM?

No, I don't really write on giant potatoes, although if I don't get an agent's contract soon, I might try it.  If nothing else, maybe I'll get a few points for originality.

Let me introduce myself: my name's Jude Austin, popularly known on some sites as JudasFm.  If you've come to this blog via FF.net, then I guess you're familiar with (or have experienced) my writing already.  Nice to see you here too; pull up a chair and let me fetch you a drink :D


For those of you meeting me for the first time, I didn't choose my penname for the shock value or to offend the Christian community.  Funnily enough, the only serious stick I've got came from someone who said, "I'm not a Christian, but do you realize your penname could be considered very offensive by them so you really should change it!" (or words to that effect; it happened a few years ago so I'm paraphrasing).


The few Christians who have commented on it have always been more curious than offended.  Is there a lesson here about the waste of time and effort that is political correctness? Yep, I think there might well be.


Anyway, for those of you who want to know the story, read on.

The first real online community I joined (and actually participated in) was one for the actor Jerome Pradon, who played Judas in Jesus Christ Superstar. Since I didn't want to give out my real name at that point, I just extended it a bit from Jude to Judas ;)

The Fm part came much later, when I was registering with AOL instant messenging. Apparently the name Judas was taken by a few hundred people already, and I was told to put something in 'about me'. I wrote 'female' and AOL suggested JudasFem. I wasn't too keen on that (not sure why but still) and so I shortened it to JudasFm. It's pretty unique and I like it.

As for a YAM (plural YAMS, or should that be YAMSS?) it's a Young Adult Manuscript.  

I never really started out intending to write YAMS; I wanted to hit the adult market.  It wasn't until I'd submitted and bounced my very first YAM off everyone I knew that one of them - a friend of my aunt who worked for a publisher - came back and said I was targeting the wrong people, that I should concentrate on YAMS.

I came to blog via another writers' blog that I've started contributing to.  This will mainly be a backup of my articles on that blog, though I'll probably do a few personal posts too as my life develops.

So that's it from me for now.  It's half one here and I need to go and get some lunch, and the parrot could probably do with cleaning out as well.  Not the most glamorous of jobs, but someone has to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment